COP26 - update on potential disruptions
Update at 2/11/21:
The Youth Day of Action and Climate Change Marches are taking place on Friday 5 November and Saturday 6 November respectively. Road closure details can be found below.
The Youth Day of Action March will leave Kelvingrove Park at 11.30am on Friday, ending at George Square. The number of young people attending is anticipated to be very high.
The Climate Activist March will leave Kelvingrove Park at 12.30pm on Saturday, ending at Glasgow Green. An estimated 100,000, or more, are expected to participate.
On both days, there is likely to be congestion in the Kelvingrove area and in the wider city centre, in advance of the march. This is also likely to apply to the end destinations of each of the marches.
The route maps for both marches are available on https://www.getreadyglasgow.com/cop26/traffic-and-travel and also attached here.
”Rolling” road blocks will be in place as each of the marches progress, and will be cleared as soon as it is safe and possible to do so. Details of affected areas around the routes, and prohibition of vehicular access are given in more detail on the GRG site.
In addition, large crowds are expected in the area of Ibrox tomorrow, Wednesday 3rd November, as the funeral cortege for Walter Smith passes. Rangers F.C. website says that the intention is for the cortege to pass Ibrox at 3.15 p.m., entering from Helen Street driving in the direction of Paisley Road West before re-joining the motorway.
Further update 3/11/21:
We have been informed by the COP26 Transport Co-ordination Centre that roads noted below will be closed on Saturday 6 November from 0500hrs to 1800hrs. This is at the request of Police Scotland for safety and security reasons. Pedestrian access will be maintained, and Get Ready Glasgow will be updated to reflect this change.
The ‘rolling road block’ arrangement for Friday 5 November is still the plan, but we would emphasise that plans can change at the last minute and would encourage you to maintain a close watch on the Get Ready Glasgow site and social media.
These road closures on Saturday 6 November will now need to be reflected in your contingency plans for services that will be operating on 6 November, especially those on or near the march route.
Please let us know if you anticipate disruption to critical services that cannot be mitigated.
The roads that will now be closed on Saturday 6 November are as follows:
From 05:00hrs until 18:00hrs on the 6 November 2021
Prohibition of vehicle movements, any direction (excluding pedal bikes)
- Anchor Lane for its full length
- Argyle Street between Kelvingrove Street and St Vincent Street
- Blythswood Square (south side) for its full length
- Blythswood Square between West Regent Street and West George Street
- Bridgegate between King Street and Saltmarket
- Crown Street for its full length
- Douglas Street St Vincent Street and West George Street
- Duke Street between High Street and John Knox Street
- Dumbarton Road between Byres Road and Argyle Street (eastbound closed only)
- Elmbank Street between Elmbank Crescent and St Vincent Street
- George Square (north side) for its full length
- George Street between George Square and High Street
- Greendyke Street between London Road and Charlotte Street
- Greendyke Street between Turnbull Street and Saltmarket
- High Street for its full length
- Holland Street between West George Street and St Vincent Street
- Hope Street between St Vincent Street and West George Street
- Kelvingrove Street between Sauchiehall Street and Argyle Street
- London Road between James Morrison Street and Saltmarket
- Nelson Mandela Place for its full length
- Newton Street between Elmbank Crescent and St Vincent Street
- North Hanover Street between Cathedral Street and George Square
- Pitt Street between St Vincent Street and West George Street
- Radnor Street between Sauchiehall Street and Argyle Street
- Renfield Street between West Regent Street and West George Street
- Sauchiehall Street between Argyle Street and Royal Crescent
- Shuttle Street for its full length
- South Frederick Street, northbound only
- St Vincent Street between Argyle Street and Pitt Street
- Trongate between Albion Street and Gallowgate
- Wellington Street between West Regent Street and West George Street
- West Campbell Street between St Vincent Street and West George Street
- West George Street between Pitt Street and George Square
- West Nile Street between St Vincent Street and Bath Street